Frequently Asked Questions

Listed below are some of the most frequently asked questions about Animal Welfare in Stillwater.

Where's the dog park?

Located at 801 W. 11th Ave., Stillwaggin' Dog Park managed by the City of Stillwater. It is a self-policing, use-at-your-own-risk facility. The park rules are posted at the entrance and include the following:

  • Dogs must be on leash from your car to the park.

  • Pick up after your dog.  

For problems at the park, contact Community Resources at 405.747.8070.

Do I have to get a dog license?

No. Stillwater does not have a licensing program, but we do require that your dog or cat be current on its rabies vaccination, which must be done by a licensed veterinarian and wear the tag from the veterinarian.

Does Stillwater have a leash law?

Yes. Animal Welfare enforces a leash law for dogs. Dogs must be under restraint by a fence, chain or hand-held leash both on and off their owner’s property. This includes city parks and the bed of pickup trucks. There is not a leash law for cats, but cat owners are responsible for the actions of their pets as defined under a nuisance ordinance.

Do I have to get a professional animal permit?

If you own a commercial kennel, grooming parlor, pet shop or shelter, you will need to apply for or renew your business’s annual permit with the City Clerk’s Office by Feb. 1 of each year. The City’s code of ordinances defines a kennel as “any lot or premises on which four or more dogs more than six months of age are kept.” The fee for the professional animal permit is $50. Fill out the Request to Obtain Grooming, Pet Shop and Kennel Permit form on the Forms page.

How many dogs or cats am I allowed to own?

You may own up to three dogs on a lot or premises inside an area zoned as a residential district. Owning more than three dogs is considered a kennel, which is categorized as an animal and pet keeping facility. Animal and pet keeping facilities are permitted in the following zoning districts:

There are no limitations on the number of cats you are allowed to own in a residential district. 

Can I have livestock within city limits?

According to city ordinance, livestock are prohibited in certain areas.

  • It is unlawful for any person to allow or permit any  fowl, including, but not limited to chicken, ?turkeys, pigeons, ducks and geese, or any domestic livestock, including, but not limited to, horses, mules, donkeys, cows, sheep and goats, within 150 feet of any dwelling, house trailer, mobile home, manufactured home, hotel, motel, grocery store, supermarket or food service establishment, except in a duly established Agricultural District wherein such distance limitation shall be 50 feet.

  • Backyard chickens are allowed per city Ordinance No. 3367.

What is Tiny Paws Kitten Rescue?

Oklahoma's only neonatal kitten rescue, Tiny Paws fills the gap left by area animal agencies that cannot provide care for these infants

How do I take care of my pets during severe weather?

Visit FEMA's "Caring for Animals" page for how to prepare for the unexpected, such as assembling an animal emergency supply kit and developing a pet care buddy system. Procedures are the same for any emergency.

What if I lost or found an animal?

If you have lost or found an animal (any kind), call Animal Welfare immediately to see if the lost animal is at the shelter, or if someone has reported it lost or found. Finders can either have the animal picked up to be brought to the shelter or leave information with a description of the animal and their phone number. Animal Welfare keeps a board with postings of lost and found animals.

Can I adopt a pet from Animal Welfare?

Yes! Animal Welfare has many wonderful pets available for adoption, most of which are or will be spayed or neutered and have most of their vaccinations. Animal Welfare occasionally has small pets such as ferrets, rabbits or guinea pigs.

Stillwater uses an online service called Petfinders to help organize adoptions.

What happens to strays picked up by an Animal Welfare officer?

An animal that is picked up by an officer is held for 96 hours for the owner to claim. During that time, a reasonable effort is made to attempt to find an owner. If no owner is found, healthy animals with good temperaments are offered for adoption to the public for about a week.

During this week, the animal is advertised on various media and different rescue groups are sought and contacted.

May I turn over my own pet to Animal Welfare?

Yes. Any citizen of Stillwater can surrender their pet for adoption. Strong caution is urged that this service be used as a last resort.

Although Animal Welfare attempts to find a new home or outlet for available pets in the shelter, the shelter is neither an adoption service nor a pet shop and cannot guarantee that an animal will not be euthanized due to space, health, age or temperament.

Is Stillwater a no-kill city?

Stillwater is not officially a no-kill city (meaning there has not been an official proclamation, funds or other means made available for this purpose); however, the Animal Welfare shelter has been low euthanasia or no-kill for more than 10 years by the definition of very few healthy or adoptable animals being euthanized. This does not include the euthanasia of sick, injured or feral animals.

What if I am bitten by an animal?

Report the bite to Animal Welfare immediately at 405.372.4171 or 9-1-1. Animal Welfare will determine whether the animal is current on its rabies immunizations if it needs to be quarantined at a veterinary clinic or be tested for rabies by the Oklahoma State Department of Health.

What if I see wildlife behaving unusually?

Although the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife does not permit Stillwater Animal Welfare to capture healthy wildlife, Animal Welfare officers will attempt to apprehend sick or injured wildlife. Sick wildlife that has had contact with humans or pets will be tested for rabies.

Do Animal Welfare officers receive any training?

Stillwater Animal Welfare officers attend a two-week long animal control academy and attend continuing education through the National Animal Control Association, the Oklahoma Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and other related agencies.

Academy training includes many subjects such as criminal investigations (cruelty, dogfighting), report writing, animal handling and care and disease control in shelters. Officers are also state certified animal euthanasia technicians.”

The training we go through is online, not in person. We attend the National Animal Control Association and each officer is awarded a certificate as a NACA Animal Control Officer. Our officers are also certified animal euthanasia technicians.

Content Last Reviewed 11.16.2022