Residential FAQs for Development Services

Residential FAQs for Development Services

Do I need a permit for a storm shelter?

  • Yes. You will need the engineer stamped drawings provided to you by your installer when you signed your contract along with a Residential (1 & 2 Family) Permit Application and a site plan. A Development Services customer service representative can assist you with the site plan either in person or over the phone. You can submit your documents in person or email them to

    The documents will be reviewed and a Development Services customer service representative will contact you for payment, which can also be done in person or over the phone with a credit card. If you choose them over the phone method, we will scan and email your receipt and permit to you.

Do I need an inspection for a storm shelter?

  • Yes, you will coordinate with your installer as to whether you or the installer shall call into the Inspection Hotline to schedule your inspection

Do I need a permit to put up a fence?

  • A permit is required for a fence more than seven feet in height. Please contact a Planning Staff Member to discuss the setback requirements for front, side and rear yards.

Do I need a permit for a swimming pool?

  • A permit is required for swimming pools that are 24 inches or greater in depth or any swimming pool with a filter system, heater or electrical lighting. This permit would include the fence enclosure. See the Residential Swimming, Pools, Hot Tubs and Spas Informational Guide for additional information.

Do I need a permit for a deck?

  • If the deck is less than 200 square feet and not more than 30 inches above grade at any point and does not have a cover over it such as a pergola or enclosed roof, then no permit is required. Development Services staff can assist you in assuring that the deck will be placed in any easements and meets setbacks requirements. See the Residential Uncovered Deck Guide for additional information.

Can I put a carport in my driveway?

  • Any and all carports or accessory structures must comply with the setbacks requirements for your zoning district. We recommend that you first talk with one of the Planning Team members to assist with this information and guidelines.

    • When all setbacks requirements are met, a Residential (1 & 2 Family) Permit Application is required along with a site plan.  Contact a Development Services Customer Service representative who can assist you with this site plan.